Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Too Much Butter

Sunday night for dinner I decided it would be really yummy to make some breadsticks to go with our leftover spaghetti. I am really enjoying carbs right now (it helps settle my stomach). I melted some butter and added garlic powder and Italian seasoning. I brushed the butter on the dough and then sprinkled Parmesan cheese on top, YUM. Vincent and I were in the living room when I smelled something burning in the kitchen. I knew the butter had run off the stone and was burning in the bottom of the oven. What happened next scared me....I saw very large flames in the oven. There was a grease fire in the oven. I called Anthony in a panic and asked him what I should do. He told me to throw water on it. I remember hearing that water on a grease fire can be dangerous. So I turned the oven off and miraculously the fire went out. Poor Vincent and Ginger were so scared. Ginger was actually shaking, it's amazing that dogs can sense when something is wrong. Maybe it was all the smoke that scared her. I said a prayer right away, luckily nothing was damaged, just a big greasy mess to clean up in the oven. Lesson learned...Always have a fire extinguisher available in the house and use a pan with sides for greasy foods.

4 comments:

Rochelle Beach said...

Amen.........this is one mom who is thanking Heavenly Father for protecting those I love.

Christy Tull said...

Wow-scarey!! I am glad you did not throw water on it, and that everything turned out ok. I am currious do you have a gas or electric stove?

Love YA

Christina said...

Speaking from experience, it is not a good idea to throw water on a grease fire. I'm glad that everything turned out ok and congratulations on the new one to come.

tracyp said...

I had almost the same problem...minus the flames..it was scary..thankfully I just had to turn off the oven also to get the smoke to stop.. THANK goodness for self -cleaning ovens!